Chief Executive Officer – New Brunswick Museum
Chief Executive Officer
New Brunswick Museum
Tourism, Heritage and Culture
Saint John, NB
Who we are
The New Brunswick Museum (NBM), the oldest operating public museum in Canada, is seeking a dynamic leader to fill the role of Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
The NBM was established by an Act of the New Brunswick Legislature as the provincial museum, with the mandate to research, collect, preserve and interpret the natural, human and cultural heritage of the province of New Brunswick and related regions. The Museum is governed by a Board of Directors, responsible for the planning, policy and financial management and engages with the Provincial Government through the Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture. It has over 50 full time equivalent and casual positions. The NBM has two primary facilities including a 60,000 square foot Exhibition Centre and a Collection & Research Centre.
The NBM will be embarking on a strategic planning process this Fall and Winter that will set the course of facilities, collections, organization, digital & virtual engagement, inclusion and overall vision over the next three years. The Museum is also in the process of revitalizing both the Exhibition Centre and the Collection and Research Centre.
What you will do
As the Chief Executive Officer, you will be accountable to the Board of Directors. Your mandate is the management of operations and the provision of leadership in the development and implementation of long-range strategic planning, funding development, policy, public relations, service delivery and project management.
- Office location: 1 Market Square, on the waterfront in Uptown Saint John, New Brunswick
- Office layout: enclosed office with adjacent open office concept with COVID protocols in place
- Your Team: Management Team consists of seven departmental managers/curators and three other direct reports
- There are opportunities for the CEO to work remotely from time to time, but the CEO is expected to be at the Museum on a regular basis.
- Regular working hours: Monday to Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We promote a scent-reduced work environment.
Who you are
You are a natural leader and strategic thinker. You possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to problem-solve creatively and to think on your feet. You have a good understanding of NB cultures and communities. You have background in Culture and Heritage. You have a respect for safety, you treat people in a polite and professional manner and you are concerned for the wellbeing of all New Brunswickers.
You have the following executive leadership competencies:
- Coaching and Team Development
- Organizational Awareness
- Organizational Commitment
- Relationship Building
- Results Orientation
- Strategic Thinking
Your attitude, skills and interests are just as important as your area of study. We are looking for diverse backgrounds that bring a combination of the following:
Need to have (essential qualifications).
- A university degree in museum studies, curatorial fields, history, nature science, archaeology, anthropology, humanities, public or business administration or any other related field of study supplemented by a minimum of ten (10) years of progressive management experience
- Demonstrated skills and work experience in financial administration, human resources management, change management, policy development and legislative process, and in project management, and in implementing strategic vision;
- Experience in working with an appointed Board of Directors;
- Experience in coaching and managing a diverse work team;
- Strong interpersonal and public relations skills that will enhance community participation; and
- Experience with partnership building, fundraising and community engagement.
- Spoken language competency (English and French); please state your language capability.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
Nice to Have (asset qualifications)
- Masters level in museum studies, history, nature science, archaeology, anthropology or humanities
- Experience with facility infrastructure renewal;
- Experience in dealing with government, preferably with senior government officials;
- Experience in culture connectivity
- Preference may be given to candidates that possess experience managing a museum or other cultural facility or attraction;
- Experience in implementing digital/virtual access to heritage programs and artifacts would be considered an asset;
Pay Band 8: $93,990-$105,846 annually
What can GNB offer you?
- Comprehensive benefits package and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan;
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training;
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services;
- 1 paid Volunteer Day per year to give back to your community; and
- 1.25 days/month of paid vacation.
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health & safety are important to us. GNB and NBM have implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health & Safety
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.
How to apply:
Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture
Human Resource Services
Place Marysville, 4th floor
P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Resumes should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.