CURATOR OF BOTANY AND MYCOLOGY
THE NEW BRUNSWICK MUSEUM
CURATOR OF BOTANY AND MYCOLOGY
(PAY BAND 7)
SAINT JOHN, NB
The New Brunswick Museum (NBM) seeks a resourceful and ambitious Curator to lead the continuing development of its collections, research, and outreach programs in Botany and Mycology. The NBM is a leading centre for documenting, understanding, and fostering appreciation of the rich natural and cultural diversity of New Brunswick in local to international contexts.
Reporting to the New Brunswick Museum Head of the Natural Science Department, the Curator will:
- Maintain and develop the NBM herbarium in accordance with international standards;
- Conduct original, high-quality, collections-based research resulting in peer-reviewed contributions to knowledge of fungal diversity, focusing on New Brunswick and Atlantic Canada;
- Seek external funding in support of research and other programs in Botany and Mycology;
- Contribute to public education in Botany and Mycology;
- Engage with external partners in other institutions to advance knowledge and conservation of New Brunswick and regional biodiversity, and provide training opportunities for students;
- Respond to general and specialist requests for expert information on New Brunswick plants and fungi;
- Serve as administrative head of the NBM Botany and Mycology section, supervising staff, completing performance reviews, developing and monitoring budgets, and preparing quarterly reports of activities.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: The following experience and abilities are required:
- PhD in systematic mycology;
- Thorough understanding of the curation and scientific importance of systematic collections of fungi and plants;
- Extensive experience making, preparing, identifying, and curating museum collections;
- Strong record of peer-reviewed publication of original research on the systematics of fungi;
- Demonstrated ability to connect and communicate effectively with diverse public and specialist audiences;
- Proven ability to attract external funding in support of research and other programs;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to supervise the work of Botany and Mycology staff and volunteers;
- Ability to take part in physically demanding field work, sometimes in remote areas.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
ASSET QUALIFICATION: Preference may be given to candidates who possess:
- Written and spoken competence in French.
Subject to the response of this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioral competencies:
- Client Service Orientation;
- Team Leadership;
- Effective Interactive Communication.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Human Resources Management;
- Planning and Organizing Skills.
The following operations requirements are required:
- Working on weekends / evenings;
- Travel throughout the Province.
Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
SALARY: From $ 77,194 to $93,366 annually.
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As per the Civil Service Act, candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We promote a scent-reduced environment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!
How To Apply
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by email to email@example.com or by mail at the following address on or before December 17, 2018 indicating competition number THC-18-28.
Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture
Human Resource Services
Marysville Place, 4th floor
P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1