NEW BRUNSWICK MUSEUM
REQUEST FOR QUOTE
Project: Interactive Web Site Development
The New Brunswick Museum seeks the services of a Web Site Developer for the production of an online virtual exhibition: Sharing Our New Brunswick Mat Hooking Heritage. This exhibition will be bilingual and will be available for viewing on the NBM’s website.
Reporting to the Manager Museum Services at the New Brunswick Museum and using content produced by the museum and its partner, the New Brunswick Mat Registry, the successful developer will produce a high quality, visually appealing, interactive, bilingual, searchable, digital presentation for inclusion in a virtual exhibition depicting historical and contemporary hooked mats, maker’s biographies, the history of mat making and other selected collections of the New Brunswick Museum and the Mat Registry.
The mat registry process has documented over 600 hooked mats from around the province. The project has engaged hundreds of individuals across the province and beyond, collecting stories and images. This has fostered a renewed sense of pride and understanding of the mat makers, their motivations, their talents and their unique contributions to the story that is New Brunswick. The virtual exhibition will present mat information, images, and stories, including videos of oral interviews, educational modules and with sections on hooking history and contemporary developments.
The exhibition will contain, in both official languages:
- text content and approximately 1000 images, including photographs, scanned documents and object images. The images will be accompanied by captions and contextualization. Images and text will also be supplemented by audio and video.
- a searchable objects database that results in an image, object label information, a short narrative and links to other elements of the overall site.
The design should make the exhibit as meaningful as possible, providing functionality, accessibility and innovation. It is expected that the design will relate to and function within the design template of the overall New Brunswick Museum website and as far as possible, mobile device friendly. The project should include a strategy to make the resulting exhibition accessible to people with disabilities, for example:
- designing site navigation and interactive elements with due consideration for the needs of mobility impaired users, and
- testing project web pages using browsers specifically designed for visually impaired users (including text-only and screen-reading software)
Other additional requirements:
- accessibility to low-speed Internet users and functional through Chrome, Edge, Firefox browsers
- appropriate technologies, such as magnification application, in order to correctly
view the digitized images
- long term hosting capabilities and pricing
- content management system for Museum to populate the site, and for longer term updates and changes.
- the exhibition must be produced in both official languages
Work on the site will include:
- one interactive exhibition design, applicable to both official languages
- database integration with the live website
- audio and/or video integration with the live website
- general and advanced search development
- training NBM staff for long-term maintenance of the site following completion
Hosting and long term management
- the exhibition will require external hosting so it is expected proposals will include pricing for hosting
- a content management system is required to manage updates and changes to the content
The successful developer will be responsible for the management and production of the web site as detailed. The NBM will be responsible for providing site content and project feedback in a timely manner.
|Concept design, functionality and navigation plan
Mock-ups and prototypes of site
|Site testing and final design
Integration of content in one language
|Integration of translated content
Launch of exhibit
Please submit materials by Monday, 6 March 2023, 5pm to:
Manager Museum Services
New Brunswick Museum
277 Douglas Ave.
Saint John, N.B.
Fax: (506) 643-2360
If you have any questions, please contact Bruce Thomson by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful bidder will be chosen based upon:
- communication ability
- quality of work, creativity and experience
- client service and support
- ability to deliver on a timely basis
Lowest quote and/or any quote not necessarily accepted.