Join the New Brunswick Museum and the New Brunswick Public Libraries in celebration of Canada’s oldest continuing museum with a special gift of a Celebration Pass. The New Brunswick Public Libraries and New Brunswick Museum are celebrating New Brunswick Museum’s 175 birthday and Canada 150 by partnering to provide free passes to the New Brunswick Museum Exhibition Centre. The Celebration Pass can be checked out with a library card at any NBPL library branch in the province throughout May 2017. Each library card holder can receive one pass redeemable for single admission to the NB Museum Exhibition Centre in Saint John, valid for a single visit before January 7, 2018. The passes are good for general admission only; any special program fees still apply and passes are not applicable to group visits.
The New Brunswick Museum is Canada’s oldest continuing museum, with a history that can be traced back to 1842. This year, as the NB Museum celebrates its 175th anniversary, its mission continues to be to collect, preserve, research, and interpret New Brunswick’s natural, human and cultural heritage. This year the NB Museum accepted the Order of New Brunswick on behalf of Abraham Gesner, the founder of its first collection in 1842. The NB Museum BiotaNB has been named a Bioblitz Canada 150 Science-Intense National Event. NB Museum is a member of the Franklin Museum Network, presenting Parks’ Canada’s ongoing discovery of the Franklin Expedition. New exhibitions, programmes and experiential activities continue to be developed by the NB Museum. Residents anywhere in the province (and beyond) are always able to tour the provincial museum online by visiting the many NB Museum virtual exhibitions at www.nbm-mnb.ca. Visit Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to discover NB Museum activities and stories. And of course, the stories of New Brunswick are ready to be discovered at the NBM Exhibition Centre in Saint John where generations of collecting and research have inspired compelling permanent and temporary exhibitions and engaging programmes with hands-on and interactive fun.
NB Museum staff will take a Celebration Tour through the library regions in May with a drop-in table of stories and hands-on fun. Drop-in times:
• Saint John Free Public Library (Central), Tuesday, May 2, 12:00 – 1:30
• Newcastle Public Library, Miramichi, Thursday May 4, 1:30 – 3:00
• Campbellton Centennial Library , Friday May 5, 10:00 – 11:30
• Mgr. W.J. Conway Public Library, Edmundston, Friday, May 5, 2:30 – 4:00
• Tracadie Public Library, Friday, May 5, 3:00 – 4:30
• Moncton Public Library, Saturday, May 6, 1:30 – 3:00
• L.P. Fisher Public Library, Woodstock, Saturday, May 6, 1:30 – 3:00
• Fredericton Public Library, Sunday, May 7, 1:30 – 3:00
• St. Croix Public Library, St. Stephen, Tuesday, May 9, 5:30 – 7:00
• Kennebecasis Public Library, Quispamsis, Saturday, May 13, 10:30 – 12:00
• Sussex Regional Library, Saturday, May 13, 2:30 – 4:00
As New Brunswick residents, celebrate the New Brunswick Museum’s 175th Birthday by visiting the New Brunswick Museum Exhibition Centre, or at an Outreach activity near you, or by becoming NB Museum members. Full membership details are available at www.nbm-mnb.ca.
For more information:
Director of Communications
Corporate Communications (Unit)
Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour
(506) 453-4090 / Jason.Hoyt@gnb.ca