Click here to skip to the content

Fort Howe, Saint John, New Brunswick

Back

Colour photograph of rock face, people and green sign
photograph: Fort Howe, Saint John, New Brunswick, 2007. New Brunswick Museum. In 1914 Fort Howe was designated as Canada’s first National Historic Park, prior to the creation of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. It is no longer part of the national park system but was designated a National Historic Site in 1929. The fort was built on a high ridge of Precambrian marble overlooking the harbor at Saint John.